Walk in the Marais. Originally the marshlands, this district was miraculously spared three and half centuries of development and works in the capital. It became the area of Paris where noblemen and women would have their mansions and private residences prior to the Revolution. Over time the merchant classes began to settle there. If one is interested in the 17th century Parisian litterature, the name of Madame de Sévigné is associated with the area. Her private residence is today the historical library of the capital.
PLACE DES VOSGES
The oldest square in Paris, it has been classified as an historical monument since 1954. Originally, built under the reign of Henri IV, his son inaugurated the square in 1612 following the murder of his father.
SAINT PAUL SAINT LOUIS CHURCH
A masterpiece built in the Jesuit baroque style and a true feast for the eyes !
HOTEL DE SULLY
A small side entrance at number 7 of the square leads to the Hotel. It is a fabulous area of exchange between literary and cultured friends, and was the location where the Duchesse of Sully used to receive her guests.
As wide as an avenue, this road leads directly to the Louvre. It was impossible for any merchant entering Paris to avoid it, and is lined with private mansions, churches and elegant homes.
Found at number 68 rue François Miron, this is where Louis XIV, escorted by Marie of Austria, came to greet his mother Anne d’Autriche at its balcony in 1660.
LA MAISON BLANCHE
On the corner of Rue des Écouffes and Rue du Roi de Sicile, this is the oldest house of the Marais neighborhood built under King Louis XIII.
Located at number 23 Rue des Francs Bourgeois, it explains Paris’ history. It is also famous for a former distinguished tenant, the Marquise de Sévigné.